Saturday, December 29, 2012

Called

I know that it has been a little over a month since I received my mission call, but I feel that it is important to document  it anyway.

On Thursday November 7th I was informed by my mother that I had had a very important big white envelope sitting at my house. She taunted me by sending me a picture of her holding it up. I had been waiting for this envelope for over three weeks and the anticipation and intense curiosity was about to overwhelm me. I knew that I would not be able to wait till the weekend, and at the same time knew that I probably wouldn't be able to go home anyway due to some Church calling obligations. I desperately wanted to know what the letter contained and even if it was brought down to having my mom open it and read me the contents over the phone. However, I determined that I could probably drive half-way home where my parents would meet me and we could open the big white envelope that contained my call to serve a mission to an unknown location.

My parents took pity upon me and astonished me when they declared that they would make the 5 hour journey to Rexburg to open my mission call and then they would make the 5 hour journey back home that same day. I was so touched by their kindness. So the REAL waiting game began. I watched the clock all day long, anxiously waiting for the time that my parents would arrive. Needless to say- I was freaking out all day long.
Watching for the Arrival
I can't wait any longer!!!














 I decided to open my call in my apartment's lounge so that everyone who wanted to come could fit in.

At last they came, bringing with them my younger brother who had missed some of his important classes to come for the event. I finally got my paws on my call and here is the moment we've all been waiting for.
My mom held the envelope the entire way to Rexburg
THE MOMENT!

 

Dear Sister Christensen,
You are called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Peru, Trujillo mission. You are assigned to labor for a period of 18 months. 

I know I am a little hard to understand because I just got so darn excited and forgot to breathe. I got really excited when they called me "Sister Christensen".  Some of my favorite still shots from the video are as follows:
Hehehe look at my daddy's face :)

My darling old roommate was probably the most excited because she had just returned from Peru doing humanitarian work.
By some amazing coincidence, several of my cousins and uncle were in Rexburg at that time for just a random visit. I was so excited to have them there so they could be a part of the "opening ceremony"
So many people sacrificed to be there for me as I opened my mission call. My parents drove 10 hours to bring me the letter, Ben skipped his math class to be there, Noelle skipped her class to be there, my roommate Stephanie skipped a lab to be there, Daniel went to his job early so that he could leave early to be there, and Claire was late to her soccer practice so she could be there. I'm sure that many others sacrificed for me and my call and their efforts were not wasted.
 
 I report to the Lima Peru MTC on April 10 2013. This means that I am required to obtain a passport and a visa by myself over the next 5 months. This gives me a chance to go back to school for one semester so that I can take a mission prep class and a Spanish class before I depart. I would have had to take my finals a week early, but all of my professors were very accommodating to my situation- another amazing blessing.

I am going to be a missionary. I am going to Peru. I am so blessed. That one announcement has and will continue to change my life and perhaps eternity. I know that this is where I am supposed to be at this point in my life. I have seen so many beautiful blessings from my decision to serve a mission and my entire family has been so very helpful through all of my decisions and choices. I know I am making the right choice right now. Peru needs me, and I need to be there for me and for the Lord's children.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Han,
    I was just reading your post again... because I LOVE it!. Anyway, I realized that I can't watch the video because you have it listed as "private" on YouTube. If you want people to be able to see it, you need to either make it "public" or "available to those with a link." I think that either of those would work. Anyway, just thought you should know. I hope this semester is wonderful!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete